Nova AutoTuning Procedure
Your Nova evaluation kit comes pre-tuned to match the cables and antenna contained in the kit. However, if you choose to alter cabling, antenna, or even place the included antenna in an environment with metal within a meter of the antenna, you should follow the procedure below to retune your reader/antenna network.
- Connect your reader to the antenna and mount the antenna exactly as desired for testing.
- Open SkyeWare 4 and navigate to the Capabilities->Protocol screen.
- Set the protocol command as follows:
- Click the send button on the right and confirm that “SingleTunePoint: PASS” responses are received, followed by a final “RunVerboseTune: COMPLETE” response. This command should take about 30 seconds to execute in the FCC radio mode.
- That’s it! Your module is tuned and ready to go. It will store this tuning indefinitely and across power cycles until you run the tuning command again.
This section is for those customers who wish to learn more about the Nova's Antenna Tuning algorithm, and the output it produces. The information here is not necessary to operate the tuning function.
There are two tuning commands available for the SkyeModule Nova, "RunFullTuneQuiet" and "RunFullTuneVerbose". The two commands both follow the same antenna tuning algorithm, but the "RunFullTuneVerbose" returns the results of the tuning activity.
The Nova has a three element matching network, consisting of three tunable capacitors and three inductors. We are able to measure the quality of the antenna tune by measuring the RF power reflected back into the receiver. This voltage is present on the “OAD” test point for both the I and Q channel, where lower values are better. The capacitance is changed on each device, and we store the lowest (OAD) values for each frequency.
The value returned from the "RunFullTuneVerbose" gives the following information:
- Frequency (in Hex notation)
- C1 value (in pF)
- C2 value (in pF)
- C3 value (in pF)
- OAD-I (lower values are better)
- OAD-Q (lower values are better)
Please file a support ticket for additional support with the antenna tuning option for the SkyeModule Nova.